CA Gov't Pushes Bill to Force State Colleges to Offer Abortion Pill

P. Gardner Goldsmith | June 25, 2018
Font Size

What more could politicians do in the field of education to enflame taxpayers than take their money to pay for leftist indoctrination in public schools and colleges?

How about push to give tax-provided weapons to college students to kill people?

That’s what’s happening right now, in the CA Assembly, since SB320 was approved last week by the Assembly Committee on Health and it now goes to the Committee on Higher Education.

According to Drew van Voorhis, writing for The College Fix, SB320 will require all public colleges in California to supply the abortion pill RU-486 to any attendee who requests it.

RU-486, also known as mifepristone, or “Mifeprex”, is a synthetic steroid. When it is taken in consort with a prostaglandin called misoprostol, it counteracts the natural function of a pregnant woman’s uterus, and the embryo is 95 percent likely to die.

As reports:

The Population Council holds the rights to mifepristone in the United States. The Population Council is an international population control organization founded by John D. Rockerfeller in 1952. The Population Council licenses a company called Danco Laboratories to distribute mifepristone in America under the brand name Mifeprex. Mifeprex is the only product distributed by Danco Laboratories.

So that means that this bill will deliver a big financial win to Danco Labs and The Population Council.

Additionally, the “abortion pill” (it’s actually a pill to inspire miscarriages) is packed with liabilities. Proponents of the drug recommend that women only take it up to the tenth week of pregnancy, and since it is only 95 percent effective, the remaining 5 percent of children who survive are at much greater risk of birth defects. As van Voorhis notes, Students for Life issued a searing and precise statement on the practical problems of the matter:

This legislation would add an increased liability for colleges, as they could be held potentially liable for any injuries or side effects of the abortion. Campus health centers are also not equipped to properly determine the age of the preborn baby, and RU-486 can only be used in a limited amount of time. The health centers are also not equipped with the ability to surgically intervene when complications arise.

What a shocker.

But the politicians in CA are pushing for it, nonetheless, not only overlooking the potential legal liabilities, but operating with utterly callous disregard for the ethical problems.

Van Voorhis observes:

According to the bill, the implementation cost would be shouldered by $9.6 million in “private funds,” yet it does not state exactly where that money will originate. According to the Daily Cal, the cash will come “from private donors and companies such as Planned Parenthood.”

Which means taxpayers.

What don’t these politicians understand? It matters not how hard they couch a plan to take money from people, how much they lather onto it terms like “right to choose” and “my body, my choice”, these are far more complicated issues than the idea that one life is at stake, and that complication goes all the way into the realm of the taxpayer.

If a taxpayer might take issue with the curricula of public colleges, might it not be possible that forcing taxpayers to fund the taking of human lives – and let’s not forget that the embryo is human, and it is alive, therefore it is a human being – could inspire even greater umbrage?

If this is such an important issue, why not let the ones who care about it fund it? At least that would be a start to removing the unwilling from the picture?

How far have American politicians gotten from Thomas Jefferson starting the University of Virginia to the Assembly of California voting on a bill to force taxpayers to fund college attendees’ abortions?

Stunning. But once that door to public funding is opened, everything else could follow. The only way to solve the problem is to stop the publically funded system. Privatization would allow people to fund what they thought was important.

At least that would allow those who find this idea reprehensible to not see their heard earned money going to it.