Child Dies After Mistaking Dad's Meth for Cereal - Consumed '180 Times the Lethal Limit'

Caleb Tolin | August 6, 2018
Font Size

A child has died after consuming "180 times the lethal limit of methamphetamine" and his father, whose drugs the boy consumed, did nothing to stop it. 

Curtis Collman II has just been denied bond in court for leaving out methamphetamine on the counter which his 8-year-old son, Curtis Collman III, mistook for breakfast cereal. 

Curtis III consumed the meth and his father refused to take him to the hospital thereafter, resulting in his death.

In Seymour, Indiana, Curtis Collman III died on June 21 from consuming “180 times the lethal limit of methamphetamine” which amounts to 18,000 nanograms in his bloodstream according to the toxicology reports.

He apparently found the meth just sitting on a plate in the open on one of the counters in the home that the Collmans lived in.

Curtis II told police that his son "was not acting right.” He was "laying there, talking to his brother, who was not there" and then he was "bouncing his face on the floor."

But Curtis II decided not to do anything. Instead of calling 911 or rushing his son to the hospital, he decided to take Curtis III to his grandparents home in Crothersville.

"Curtis [III] was full of life," said Rita Cook, Curtis III’s grandmother. "He enjoyed riding his bicycle, he enjoyed riding his scooter, he loved to watch Spongebob. He was a Minecraft tutorial person -- he could tell you anything about Minecraft. He just loved life. He never was still; he constantly moved and just never was still."

Curtis II also has faces other charges in court including the pointing of a firearm, intimidation, possession of methamphetamine, and failure to register as a sex offender.

According to The Independent, Collman II faces up to 40 years in prison if he is found guilty of death of a child by neglect.

mrc merch