It’s not just Israel that’s in danger of suffering a terrorist attack by Hamas, U.S. Sec. of State Antony Blinken warned Wednesday.
Blinken issued the warning in comments made at a press briefing with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, discussing Saturday’s bloody, horrific attack on Jerusalem by Hamas, explaining that citizens of three dozen countries were harmed:
“The failure to unambiguously condemn terrorism puts at risk, not only people in Israel, but people everywhere. Look at what just happened: individuals from 36 countries killed or missing in the aftermath of Hamas’ attacks.
“Europe, Asia, Africa, the Americas – no region can escape Hamas’ reach.”
Likening Hamas to ISIS, Blinken said the U.S. is “delivering on our word” to help defend Israel and its neighboring countries from Iran, detailing measures both taken and in the works:
- Deploying the “world’s largest aircraft carrier” to the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Bolstering the presence of U.S. fighter aircraft in the region.
- Supplying ammunition, interceptors, to replenish Israel‘s Iron Dome,
- Supplying “alongside other defense material.”
- “First shipments of U.S. military support have already arrived in Israel and more is on the way.”
- Working through diplomatic channels to secure the release of the hostages being held by Hamas.
“As Israel’s defense needs evolve, we will work with Congress to make sure that they’re met,” the secretary of state promised, assuring that there is “overwhelming, bipartisan support” for doing what’s necessary to protect Israel.
Biden’s secretary of state also accused other world leaders of failing to take swift and decisive action in response to past terrorist attacks against Israel:
“Too often in the past, leaders have equivocated, in the face of terrorist attacks against Israel and its people. That’s why we’ve been adamant, with all countries, in the wake of these attacks.”